Rebuilding After a Wildfire

What you need to know when returning home after a wildfire

Contractor's State License BoardHire or File a Complaint regarding a contractor:

The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) verifies contractor licenses, investigates complaints, and provides helpful information about hiring a licensed contractor. For information on hiring or filing a complaint regarding a contractor, disaster victims may call CSLB’s Disaster Hotline M-F from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. at 1-800-962-1125, or the 24-hour automated telephone response system, 1-800-321-CSLB (2752). Licenses can also be checked online at:

You can also visit the Disaster Help Center at the CSLB site.

Fast Facts: Debris Removal & Construction Scams

Guide on Hiring Contractors for Fire Debris Removal

What You Should Know – Before Hiring a Contractor

What You Should Know – Before Hiring a Contractor – Español

Ten Tips Card – English and Español

Owner-Builder – Know Your Responsibilities

Owner-Builder – Know Your Responsibilities – Español

Housing and Community Development

The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) can assist with manufactured housing questions including repairs, installations and/or registration and titling. For information on obtaining construction permits for manufactured homes or parks contact the Riverside Area Office at 951-782-4420 or the Sacramento Area Office at 916-255-2501. For information concerning Registration and Titling call 1-800-952-8356; TDD 1-800-735-2929 or visit the HCD website at: For other types of housing recovery funding opportunities, please contact your local housing or economic development department. 

Open Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) Page:

Mobilehome Park Rehabilitation and Resident Ownership Program

The Mobilehome Park Rehabilitation and Resident Ownership Program (MPRROP) makes short- and long-term low interest rate loans for the preservation of affordable mobilehome parks for ownership or control by resident organizations, nonprofit housing sponsors, or local public agencies.  MPRROP also makes long-term loans to individuals to ensure continued affordability.  Funds are made available through a competitive process in response to a periodic
Notice of Funding Availability. NOTE: Currently, MPRROP is accepting applications on an over-the-counter basis.

Other Risks

Floods are the most common and costly natural hazard in the nation. After a wildfire, the flood risk increases significantly. The time to buy flood insurance is now. Residents and business owners need to protect their homes and assets from the devastating financial losses from a flood, especially after a wildfire, before the next weather event occurs. To read more about your risk of a flood after a wildfire, click here. (Español)

Coastal Region Landfill Options for Wildfire Debris Removal Contractors