State Employees

Register for FEMA Assistance

Disaster assistance may include grants to help pay for temporary housing to include rental and lodging expense, emergency home repairs, uninsured and underinsured personal property losses, and medical, dental and funeral expenses caused by the disaster, along with other serious disaster-related expenses.

  Apply Now

As a state employee, if you or a family member are impacted by the fires in California, you may be eligible to receive state benefits.

Benefits include but are not limited to:

  • Employee Assistance Program
  • Group Legal Services
  • Administrative Time Off and Leave of Absence
  • Family Medical Leave Act
  • CA Family Right Act
  • State Disability Insurance
  • Paid Family Leave information
  • VSP Vision Service Care

Go to your nearest Local Assistance Center (LAC)

The LAC is normally staffed and supported by local, state and federal agencies, as well as non-profit and voluntary organizations. The LAC provides a single facility at which individuals, families and businesses can access available disaster assistance programs and services.

  • Department of Tax and Fee Administration
  • Contractors State License Board
  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Department of Insurance
  • Employment Development Department
  • Franchise Tax Board
  • Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Department of Housing and Community Development
  • Department of Social Services, State Supplemental Grant Program
  • Governor’s Office of Business & Economic Development*
  • U.S. Social Security Administration
  • Local services and non-profit organizations

Assistance Programs

Cal OES is currently coordinating implementation of FEMA Individual Assistance Stafford Act Programs.

Disaster assistance logoSurvivors who primarily reside in one of the six designated counties can apply online at or by phone at 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585. Applicants who use 711 or Video Relay Service may call 800-621-3362. The toll-free numbers are open 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week. Specific programs include:

  • FEMA Critical Needs Assistance Program is available
    Provides a one-time $500 payment for life-saving and life-sustaining items including but not limited to water, food, first aid, prescriptions, infant formula, diapers, consumable medical supplies, durable medical equipment, personal hygiene items, and transportation fuel.
  • FEMA Transitional Sheltering Assistance Program is available
    Provides short-term lodging assistance for evacuees who are not able to return home for an extended or indeterminate period of time following a disaster. Disaster survivors may be eligible to stay in hotel or motel lodging for a limited period of time and have the cost of the room and taxes covered by FEMA.
  • Other Housing Programs
    Cal OES and the Housing and Community Development Agency, as well other state, federal, and local partners are working together to find and implement additional transitional and permanent housing programs. We will update this site as more information becomes available.