The contractor’s Debris Removal Operations Plan includes a Community Air Monitoring (CAM) Program. Three air sampling stations and one weather station will be established, one upwind of the work site, one downwind, and one at the nearest sensitive receptor, such as an inhabited residence, school, nursing home, etc.
Each CAM station will consist of a real-time data-logging monitor to measure particulate concentrations, high-volume and low-volume asbestos and heavy metals. A number of response actions might be taken if certain levels are reached, including implementation of additional ash suppression measures. These measures could include:
- Increasing pre-wetting time
- Adding additional water to dusty operations in the form of a mist
- Limiting drop heights when loading trucks
- Lowering speed of removal equipment
- Applying foam or wetting agents