If my home or business was damaged/destroyed in the wildfire, what should I do?

These are the steps you should take if your home or business was damaged.

  1. If you had insurance for your home, personal property, vehicle, and/or
    business, contact your insurance agent/company to seek assistance on filing
    a claim.
  2. Register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) by calling
    1-800-621-FEMA (3362). The TTY number for hearing impaired is:
    1-800-462-7585. Another option is to register online by going to
    wwww.disasterassistance.gov.  You will need to provide essential information such as name, address, address where damages occurred, social security number, phone number, etc.
  3. Visit an assistance center to speak with federal, state,
    local, and nonprofit organizations which will offer a variety of services
    and assistance including  home and personal property losses, business loss
    and recovery, replacement of vital records and documents, DMV license
    replacement, tax assistance, unemployment information, etc.
    Butte County:
    Former Sears Store, Chico Mall
    1982 East 20th Street, Chico, Ca 95828
    Hours of Operation: Open 9am – 7pm Daily
    Ventura County:
    Malibu Courthouse in Malibu Civic Center
    23525 Civic Center Way, Malibu, CA 90265
    Hours of Operation: 11/17 – Saturday 1 PM – 8 PM10 AM – 6 PM Daily
    CLOSED November 22Conrad N Hilton Foundation
    30440 Agoura Hills Rd., Agoura 91301
    Hours of Operation: 11/17 – Saturday 1 PM – 8 PM
    10 AM – 6 PM Daily
    CLOSED November 22
    Be prepared for the initial days to be busy.
  4. In the interim of the Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) opening, you may want to visit www.211.org. 2-1-1 is an umbrella organization of nonprofit organizations and resources for referrals. Enter the County for which you are seeking assistance (Butte, Ventura, Los Angeles) and it will provide the telephone number of the organization which spearheads information and referrals for that county.